Saturday, February 16, 2013

It's about time...

Yes, it's been awhile since I last chatted with you all!  I'll give you my big good news first...  I had my second post-op CAT scan on Feb. 12 and my oncologist pronounced it "perfect"!  So, 6 months out from my surgery I'm still all clear of those pesky cancer cells.  So thankful, grateful, relieved!  That was this past Tuesday and Wednesday.  Today is Saturday and I'm finding I have a small surge of energy appearing.  More about that later...

This living between scans is an interesting challenge in many ways.  The challenge of it is not "in my face" but rather more subtle.  Like in the early morning prime-sleeping time I found myself thinking about which room of the house would be best to die in, what I wanted to do with my remaining few lucid days!  Weird brain stuff like that.  Then I'd wake up in the morning feeling drained, have some coffee, and get on with my normal-ish life and try not to plan too far ahead in my heart.  Like not buying new shoes because, well, just because.  And I do love me some shoes!  It's been like I've been holding my breath for an extended period yet feeling peaceful at the same time.  A very positive result of this 3-month cycle is that I've seen pretty clearly what is really important to me and one of those is living "cleanly" with the people in my life.  I like to think of it as "living mindfully" -- brain engaged, heart engaged.  And I've had plenty of time to do that, life being slowed down as it has been.  Before going to sleep at night now we often listen to some quiet meditations/affirmations--one is for relaxation and one is for fighting cancer.  I have them downloaded onto my phone.  Often I have to wake up to turn it off and Don is already snoring!  Ours are done by a woman named Belleruth Naparstek.  I'm telling you this because I want to be real with you and these have helped me.  Something else that's been a huge help during these last 6 months has been the PEOPLE who've kept in close touch--either by phone or in person.  The intensity of those first few weeks has lessened, appropriately, but I am still feeling the support and love extended.   How very blessed I am.         

So this morning...I woke up and wanted to exercise!  Of all things.  And clean the bathroom!  So I did both.  Cooking good, nutritious food is getting easier.  I'm getting interested in "rebounding" for exercise.  You use a mini-trampoline and for "older" folks it is recommended you start out very gently for 2 minutes and work your way up to more time.          
I've been researching the mini-tramps this morning (don't get the kind where the springs fly off!) and by next week should be into it.  It's supposed to be good in all sorts of ways--balance, core strength, weight-bearing exercise but easy on joints, good for the lymphatic system (and having had cancer, that's big), etc.  I'm pretty excited.  AND we went for a short hike up the Heather Park trail...short.

All in all it's been a good beginning to my next 3-months.  If my next scan comes out clear then I go to 6 months.  Prayers appreciated in that regard.  Just in case you wondered, I believe prayer makes a big difference and I mean it when I say I appreciate yours on my/our behalf.  Thank you.














1 comment:

  1. I must admit I "lurk" here, but prayers and love are constant. Your news is the best, and the prayers and love will continue.

    ReplyDelete