Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Gearing up for action... and my crazy dream

Yesterday was a very long day.  We drove to Seattle for our 2:15 appt. with my surgeon, then a 4:30 appt. with an anesthesia nurse, then a quick stop at the lab while they uneventfully (!) drew about 6 little tubes of my blood, quick stop at the coffee shop, back in the car, arrived home at 9 p.m.--full of information and quite exhausted!  It was a good day.

Our daughter, Karen, met us at the Surgery Pavillion and did a wonderful job keeping us going, asking good questions when the time came and took excellent notes--with color coding!  We are so blessed by our very grown up children.

So here's the plan--for those of you who like such things!   Tomorrow we drive BACK to Seattle and check in to our little hotel where I'll spend only the first night but it will be available for Don and Becky during my rather long hospital stay.  We'll then drive to SeaTac and pick up Becky, who is flying in from Virginia.  The UW provides for a cot in my room so someone can be with me day and night.  Very comforting.

I'll go to the UW bright and early Friday morning (6:15 a.m.) after having taken my kill-all-germs shower--which basically means I won't sleep at all but that's ok.  My surgery will take 4-6 hours. They are removing the large tumor from my liver, removing my gall bladder, and if necessary (if they find the primary cancer site while checking) they'll remove a portion of my small intestine.  I'll spend the first night in the ICU--all tubed up.  My total hospital stay will be 5-7 days.  Everyone coming and going has to wash their hands and if you have a cold you have to wear a mask.  I'll be in a protective bubble!  There you have it...the sanitized version of what is to come!  I'm told it's a good idea to bring my own robe and slippers.  Think I need to go shopping.  Don't you agree?  

We have so much to do.  It's like leaving home for a week-long trip.  Clean out the fridge, go to the dump (yay), stop the mail, pack for hospital/hotel room, etc., etc.  At one point the anesthesia nurse asked me how I felt about this surgery.  I told her I was EXCITED to have it done!  I AM!  The surgery will be very grueling but I will be so glad to be on the other side of it looking back...and I'm so, so looking forward to see what God might do that is unexpected.  He always gifts me with surprises.  

Now I have to tell you about my dream.  
I am a big fan of good parties.  I love the joy, dancing, conversation, food, good beverages.  A good party just makes me happy.  So my dream was this.  I was at the surgery center where I've been going.  I was there for an appointment, Don was with me.  Everything was normal.  Then I noticed things were shifting--a whole different atmosphere took over.  More people started to come in and then the counters where you check in turned in to these long bars where the people who normally check you in were handing out "beverages", making yummy appetizers and handing them out, music was playing--it was very danceable, toe-tapping music.  I was enjoying myself!  Very fun atmosphere.  I looked around for Don and finally discovered him.  He had found a bank of file cabinets, the top of which was about the size of a twin bed.  And he was stretched out sound asleep.  My dream went on all night long off and on.  Don never woke up--he was so comfy, I kept partying.  And I woke up with a smile on my face! 

What do you suppose could be the interpretation of this dream?  I'm still enjoying it.   




          


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your dream! I think that it means that God will be partying with you in the operating room, and giving Don peace as he waits. :) Love you so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interpretation, Tammy. I'm going with that one too! Rock on Myrna! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear the joy of the Lord is my strength for you Myrna and peace that passes understanding for dear Don. We will be taking you dear sister before the throne of our gracious God over these next hours and days. We can pray the night shifts here in Spain. We love you and Don mucho!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Myrna! God is with you your strength and your stronghold. You lay in the palm of His hand I see you there as He carries you through this surgery, He holds you and strocks you gently with His words, He loves you Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I can't wait to here what God does next in your life. Peace be with you and Don. I love you!

    ReplyDelete