Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Such interesting timing...

Such interesting timing, to crash our car the day before my cancer discovery!  Coincidence?  I think not.  Here's the story of the Gift from the Hand of God to my husband at a time he could use such a Gift.

We went to Seattle to have lunch with our girls on a Thursday.  (Cancer was discovered on Friday.)  Had a lovely time, they are so fun.  Then we wanted to stop at the Auburn Supermall (Nordstrom Rack, of course!) on our way home.  As we turned to enter the mall parking area, BAM/WHAM, a little black car came out of nowhere and struck our Zucchini (green Suzuki to you) on the passenger side right in the center between the front and back doors.  It was a shock to us all.  As we drove to a place where we could exchange information with the other driver I had this little flash of thoughts in my brain and I turned to Don and shared them...  "I think this is about much more than wrecking our car.  There's more going on."  Really.  I said that.  And I could sense us both shifting from shock to something like being on alert.  Turns out the young man who hit us was traveling a little fast and driving his mom's car.  He kept saying, "Bummer, Bummer"...  That was just the beginning.

Don found some straps in the car and tied the doors shut.  I got in the back seat and we drove our mashed car home.  Right away Don started to do all those things you do like talk to our insurance agent, get an estimate, etc., etc.  Our insurance company was awesome.  We even got a call at one point from the "Total Loss" department in Kansas from someone named Luke James who said he wanted us to know they were praying for us--since Don had spoken to them from the hospital as I was getting a test.  Really?  Luke James?  Haha...

So, we soon saw that there were 3 stories going on here all at once.  One was the wreck and all the people with whom we came into contact through that.  The second was the response of our family and community to our needs.  Within a day our kids had offered a car, two friends had offered theirs and finally a local car dealer gave us a loaner for as long as we needed it.  I'm telling you!  We are so blessed.  

The third part of the story is so heartwarming.  You see, in addition to my having married Stability, I also married a "car guy".  Don is and has always been very "attuned" to great cars.  The car that has excited him the last several years has been the Subaru WRX-STI.  What fun it would be to have that car.  We've also thought it a little small, sort of hard to get in and out of and we've known it was WAY out of our price range.  After we learned that our insurance company was giving us much more than our little Zucchini was worth (probably thanks to Luke James) Don began to look around town for a replacement.  He saw an ad online for a car that interested him and went to look at it.  I stayed home.  Before too long, I got a text:  "I'm buying a car", he said.  I texted back, "Wahoo!"  He texted me, "Yup".  What happened was this:  he drove up to the car, a Subaru Legacy Outback and noticed a little "XT" on the rear.  XT means this car has a slightly de-tuned WRX-STI engine and an WRX interior.  Can you imagine what that's like for someone who's heart really does go pitty-pat when he sees a great car?  So that's what we're driving now.  I love it because it's blue and silver (!) AND because it is comfortable and secure AND, most of all, it brings joy to the heart of my man.

There are no coincidences.  We have a great and Good God.

4 comments:

  1. Got to love a subaru where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the whole story after hearing bits! Never tire of hearing how our Good Shepherd takes care of the details of our lives! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well how cool is THAT!!!! i don't know what all the numbers and letters are but that's so cool God totally answered that desire of his heart. :) wahooo :).

    ReplyDelete