Thursday, August 23, 2012

Two Big Days...

Yesterday...what a day.  And yes, yesterday was my day of recuperating from the day before.  So, get some coffee (or whatever) and I'll tell you about some of the highlights of both days.  I am meeting some amazing people and having some memorable experiences.  

So, Tuesday was the day I met with my surgeon (Dr. Yeung).  But before that happened I was "interviewed" and examined by the Chief Resident (very impressive).  By 11, when the meeting was to take place I was already tired.  Thank the Lord for my incredible support team, including Don, 2 daughters (Susy and Karen) and 2 good friends (JoDee and Christina), who hung in there ALL DAY and gave me strength and encouragement!  We all trekked into the room, leaving standing room only for the 2 drs. (they were fine with that).  And everyone listened intently, asked questions, took notes.  After we were all satisfied (and I was fried) Dr. Yeung said he needed some more tests--two to happen right then.  I needed more blood taken for testing and I needed another CT scan.  Alrighty then.

Then began my further adventure with needles.  Just so you know and can be praying for me in this regard, my body rebels at giving up blood.  I don't mind the needles at all, in fact I find it quite interesting, but there's a reverse valve reaction (very unmedical terminology) or something that I always mention to those about to enter my vein world.  Kind of me, I think...to forewarn.

So my first adventure was with a lovely Asian woman who, you could tell, knew what she was doing, approached my right arm confidently.  She pressed on my inner elbow to raise the vein.  Nothing.  She tapped.  She slapped.  She eyed the back of my hand longingly.  She slapped some more.  Then she said, "We try other arm."  She shifted the tourniquet, I made a fist, she pressed on the vein.  Then she said, "I go get a heating pad" and returned (I'm not kidding) with a blue surgical glove filled with hot water and tied off at the top!  Voila!  A heating pad!  After a couple of minutes she removed the "heating pad" and said, "OK, Now we try."  And by jingo, she got it.  Filled about 6 little tubes with my precious vital fluid.  Done.

THEN, I went for my double-header CT scan.  I call it double-header because I not only was injected with contrast, but before that could happen I had to drink a pint+ of yummy barium and two cans of gator-aide (yep).  But before I drank this yummy lunch the nurse came in to start an IV so they could inject me when the time came.  She was GORGEOUS!  She was about 6 feet tall, tan, beautiful wild curly hair, and she exuded confidence.  She looked over my arms for a good vein and spied the hole previously made by my Asian friend and said, let's try this since it worked before.  (I had warned her ahead of time.)  She also said she couldn't use a tiny needle because-well, just because.   She slipped that puppy in, got it the first time.  She and I were both relieved.  I think she was a Viking relative.

Finished with ALL of that, Don and I left the UWMC and headed home.  I ate the snacks I'd brought, managed to hang on until we had made our ferry crossing and woke up when we were in Port Angeles.  That was Tuesday.  

Wow.  This was long.  I think I'll tell you about yesterday after I have breakfast.  Can't wait or the days all become a blur and mix together.  And the stories...I love them.  Hope you're enjoying this amazing journey with me.  Blessings       

1 comment: